Tuesday, July 16, 2024

My Bags Are Packed

 And I'm ready to go. Tomorrow I head to Millersburg for a three day rug hooking retreat with Maria Barton. It took me awhile, but I picked out my pattern and had Saundra of Woodland Junction draw it up for me. She named it Birds in the Garden. I'm so excited to get back to hooking. It's been some time since I've picked up my hook. This picture crossed my Pinterest feed and I fell in love with it, except for the horseshoes. I'm not sure what to put there instead. Saundra suggested a beeskep. If you have any ideas let me know. 


I'm not going to stay at the hotel during the retreat, instead I've chosen to drive back and forth each day. This is Amish country and it's beautiful. Big rolling green hills and fields, big farms, lots of animals. There are various routes to get there from my house. I plan to take a different route each day. The dogs will be going to my son's home. That way I don't  have to rush home each day. I plan to also go to the Mennonite thrift store and local quilt shop. 

The woman that runs the event brings cheesecakes each year. Fabulous, luscious cheesecakes. Yum. I wonder what flavors she'll have this year. I'll let you know. This will be my fifth year attending this event.  We've had some great teachers, Caroline Twigg, Catherine Stephens, Sally Kallin, Jan Cole, and now Maria Barton. Originally Lauren invited me. Last year Lauren dropped out. I was sad, but understood. I hope she can get back in because I really don't know anyone else there. And that makes me a bit uncomfortable. It's usually the only class I schedule for the year. But... And a big but for me. I have a 3 day hook-in in Shipshewana next week and a class with Kris Miller in September. Thank you Lauren for inviting me to both. 

Happy hooking, Sue


3 comments:

  1. Looking forward to your progress and hope you find time to take lot of pictures to share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun! Saundra does a wonderful job at patterns. She did a few more me as well. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it's just too bad the dates for last year's class just didn't work out for me ;-) I was on the wait list, but I was pretty sure it was not going to happen. 'Nuff said.
    I am so happy you are my new partner in crime!!!
    As for the center of the design...really can't think of much of anything other than very subtly hooking in your grands initials. Maybe Maria or someone else in the class will have an aha moment and come up with the perfect idea. I expect updates!!! Blog postings with pictures ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Fall is upon us

 The nights are cooler, the days waiver between hot and chilly. I've built a couple fires in the wood burner. I have used the AC this we...