Thursday, April 4, 2024

Two Hearts

 I finished hooking my two hearts rug. I steamed it and I zigzagged the edges. I told myself "I'll finish it later". I went to put it where unfinished rugs are, and there were two other rugs waiting there, plus the purse, and a pillow top. Oh my. So I decided I will work on it some more. 

I trimmed the excess linen and turned/rolled it forward. I usually hand sew it to secure it, but I was already in my sewing room so I thought I'd try to machine stitch it. And it worked out just swell. Using the zipper foot I was able to get very close and it took very little time.


My decision now is how to finish it. Whip it with wool yarn or bind with wool strips. I chose the yarn, for two reasons. One, I didn't have enough of the specific brown I wanted to use and two, I have numerous baskets of wool yarn that needs to be used. 





For years I finished my rugs whipping with wool yarn.  Then Lauren showed me how she finished with wool strips and binds similar to finishing a quilt. I like that method, a lot. So that's the method I usually use.

So whipping it is. I haven't whipped in years. I chose two different shades of brown and am whipping with two strands.  It's just a little wonky, I'm hoping some of that wonkiness will steam out. 

Tonight is a quilt guild meeting. I haven't attended in months. After babysitting all day I find I have very little energy for anything else. Tonight I feel like going. I think the warmer weather and longer days improves my energy level. It may be April but we're expecting 1-3" of snow in the next couple days. Boo!!! I'm so ready for nice weather. 

Granddaughter Lexi is on a school band trip to Disney. She sent me these photos. 




Age 4








And now, at 15. 

Love it. 

Have a great weekend. Monday is the eclipse. I'm so excited.   Sue 



4 comments:

  1. LOVE LOVE LLOVE your heart rug. Lexi is adorable. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great finish!!! Absolutely LOVE it.
    What fun pics of Lexi. What a great opportunity to travel with the school band.
    I am praying for good eclipse weather!!! It is going to be wild and exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great finish and you will be so pleased to have it done.
    Lexi looks happy and warm! We got I think about 18 inches of snow here I am ready for the spring.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m loving the two hearts rug. Very cute. I’ve whipped many mats but I prefer simply folding back, basting and hiding it with a wide wool strip. I’ve worked with old mats and the edges, finished with nothing, hold up well. Fun post
    Sheepunderfeet

    ReplyDelete

Project on Hold. Again.

 Have you ever had to put a project on hold because you can't find all the needed items at the same time.?? Like this animal purse. When...