Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Low Country Garden

 I finally finished it!!!!! The Low Country Garden by Visions of Ewe. 



That dreaded floral rug. It's been years in the making. I finally decided there was just too many varieties of flowers. So I changed out like 8-9 of them and finished hooking it. It is steamed, zigzagged the edges ( because I don't have a serger ), turned the excess linen up and secured it. Now it is waiting to be bound. I use wool strips and bind kind of like a quilt binding. I learned this technique from Lauren of Rugs n Pugs. I have found through the years that when I've whipped the edges it sometimes gets worn spots that unravel a bit. Even when I've used a good wool yarn. My rug looks so much smaller once the excess linen is trimmed. I'm going to use the same wool for binding that I used for the background. Here's that wool. I can't seem to get a good picture of it. 



I got so eager for spring, and it's been so warm that I put out a few annual in pots and planted a few tomatoes and peppers. Now for tonight there is a frost warning. So I'm gathering up the pots and covering up the tender plants. I sure hope this is the last frost.



Have a good evening, 

Sue





I think my next project will be the Friendship rug. I've had this pattern for a couple of years. I plan to hook it using worms. I have a butt load of them. The sad part is it probably will only make a small dent in the worms. I've made several hit n miss rugs, anyone have any suggestions to use up your worms??



4 comments:

  1. Your floral rug looks great but I know exactly how you feel as I felt the same when hooking my 'forever floral'. Very nice wool used for the background and don't think I've seen that one, or maybe I just passed it up one year.
    The secret to using the worms is...'one worm at a time', lol. You'll never use them up, we've all tried and we never find the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got an email warning from the garden center about a possible frost tonight, but they are a bit south...and according to my phone weather, I will get no lower than 40*, so I have not covered anything. Sure hope I haven't made a huge mistake!!!
    Your dreaded floral is absolutely wonderful. So much better in person. It is so darn hard to get wool to photograph properly.
    Your next rug is so very cool. I was almost going to hook that in one of my Cathy Stephan classes but chickened out.
    Worms...don't you know they multiply while we sleep?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had frost this morning. UGH So love your floral rug. I just drew one out myself that I plan on hooking soon. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woo hoo!! I finally am able to follow you so I know when you post! Not sure what changed, but am happy it did. Your rug turned out beautifully! I really love that wool you used for the background. I don't really have a worm issue for two reasons: (1) I really don't hook a whole lot and it takes me forever to finish a rug or mat and (2) I have a quirk that allows them to exist, but not accumulate en masse. And, yes, I'm embarrassed to describe that quirk LOL. But, have you thought of doing a large penny rug with your worms? I've always loved the ones I've seen and they make me wish I didn't have that quirk. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete

A New Purple Pillow

Lexi gave me this pillow when she was four years old. It is well loved. It's just the right size for sleeping on. This pillow has gone m...