Thursday, June 29, 2023

Quilts

 This year I have quilted more than I've hooked. This is because my grandson, who's 5, really likes to go into my sewing room. He has his own machine, fabric and tools. Santa had brought him a small sewing machine for Christmas. I had a heck of a time threading it. So this week I graduated him to a big machine. His Aunt has been placed into a nursing home and had no further use for a machine. He loves it. And he's quite good with it. 

And on to the show.




This was from a Facebook group I am in. This was the 2022 pattern called A Variation of Jericho Walls. I was also participating in the rainbow scrap challenge. Each month we were assigned a different color to use.  I was going to make one bigger quilt for Mac's bed, but then he changed his mind. So I made two smaller ones. I like to use up fabric that is smallish or something I no longer care for to use for the backing. I go back and forth, when I get tired of piecing a back I'll just use one fabric. I really liked the animal print, but that's all I had of it. Makes a lovely addition to the back.




I often donate quilts to "Snuggled in Hope". It's for a local summer camp for kids with diseases or disabilities. It's grown quite large now and many people donate quilts to them. I'm keeping my ears open for another charity that maybe has more of a need.


This quilt came about after a friend gave me a box containing 4" scrappy squares. About 2 rows in they stopped being squares and got wonky. I just had to square them up. I have ended up really liking this one. But I can't keep them all. 


My friend, Diana, quilts donation quilts for free for our sewing group. It's such a blessing. 



I had thought the previous quilt was the most boring quilt I ever made.  But this next one is BORING. I used a pattern called Take 5. Five fabrics, cool, sounds easy. I have that. It sewed up quickly. And boring. I just backed it in that lighter purple. I still don't care for it. 



These will all be headed to camp next week. 

And now for the furry folks.






Have a good day. It's still smoky and hazy today so we've spent another day inside. 
Sue

4 comments:

  1. Good for your grandson to take an interest. My grandson used to love follow me into my wool and rug pattern drawing room.
    My quilting prowess has a lot to be desired.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such an amazing quilter, and how kind for you to donate them.
    How kind of Diana to donate her time to quilt donation quilts. You are both very special people for doing this.
    How cool that Mac knows how to use a sewing machine. I bet he thinks he is hot stuff having a real machine to use.
    Furbabies...too cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - you're as prolific at quilting as your are at hooking! Very impressive. What a dear heart to donate so many - I'm sure the colorfulness of them will be a comfort and cheer to whoever is blessed to use them. And I love that your grand is sewing at such a young age. Now THAT is TRULY impressive! Sweet fur kids.... Still hot and hazy here as well. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  4. How nice you donate your quilts! How fun to have your grandson sewing. I think all boys and girls should take a home economics class like I did when in school. Janice

    ReplyDelete

A New Purple Pillow

Lexi gave me this pillow when she was four years old. It is well loved. It's just the right size for sleeping on. This pillow has gone m...