Wednesday, July 22, 2026

Rug Camp with Jenny Smallridge

 I'm at rug camp in Millersburg Ohio. The teacher is Jenny Smallridge, she runs the Wooly Horse. I had her last summer with our guild, saw her at Spring Fling, and now this week. Jenny is a very inspirational teacher. Not only has she helped with my rug, she has discussed various topics such as backgrounds, borders, using textures, dyeing to name a few. I am enjoying the class. I am not enjoying that I smurfed up my back on the day before camp and I'm hurting. Right now I'm back at the hotel resting and Lauren is still hooking and having fun. 

It looks like I've not made much progress. This rug is huge, 4 foot x 5 foot. I want to replace some of the less desired motifs with something that has meaning to me. Jenny has helped to redraw some of those motifs. I added my two dogs, a cat, an American flag, a couple of bunnies. I may make more changes but this is a great start.

I have moved around the rug hooking those parts I was more sure of. And then one of the discussions was about hooking a large rug. One lady who's done large rugs said to completely hook the center. She said once the edges are done you'll not be able to get your arm under the weight of the rug to work on the center. I'm sure glad to get that tidbit now. 

This was the end of day one.


I already had hooked the yellow house and tree. So just part of the buttermold, a bird, a bunny, and a little on a horse.

This is the end of day two. Not much progress. A kitty and the red house. 



It's a beautiful day here in Ohio. 

Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment